Nehemiah - The Great Reset Lesson 2: “Ready with a Plan”

 

Nehemiah - The Great Reset

Lesson 2: “Ready with a Plan”

 

Opening Recap:

2 Chronicles 36:15-23 NKJV

15 And the Lord God of their fathers sent warnings to them by His messengers, rising up early and sending them, because He had compassion on His people and on His dwelling place. 16 But they mocked the messengers of God, despised His words, and scoffed at His prophets, until the wrath of the Lord arose against His people, till there was no remedy.

17 Therefore He brought against them the king of the Chaldeans, who killed their young men with the sword in the house of their sanctuary, and had no compassion on young man or virgin, on the aged or the weak; He gave them all into his hand. 18 And all the articles from the house of God, great and small, the treasures of the house of the Lord, and the treasures of the king and of his leaders, all these he took to Babylon. 19 Then they burned the house of God, broke down the wall of Jerusalem, burned all its palaces with fire, and destroyed all its precious possessions. 20 And those who escaped from the sword he carried away to Babylon, where they became servants to him and his sons until the rule of the kingdom of Persia, 21 to fulfill the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed her Sabbaths. As long as she lay desolate she kept Sabbath, to fulfill seventy years.

22 Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the Lord stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and also put it in writing, saying,

23 Thus says Cyrus king of Persia:

All the kingdoms of the earth the Lord God of heaven has given me. And He has commanded me to build Him a [a]house at Jerusalem which is in Judah. Who is among you of all His people? May the Lord his God be with him, and let him go up!

Facts to the beginning of the writing of Nehemiah:

Mind-set of the Jews: Jeremiah’s prophecies are now coming to pass:

Jeremiah 25:11 NKJV

11 And this whole land shall be a desolation and an astonishment, and these nations shall serve the king of Babylon seventy years.

Jeremiah 29:10 NKJV

10 For thus says the Lord: After seventy years are completed at Babylon, I will visit you and perform My good word toward you, and cause you to return to this place.

Along with Jeremiah chapters 30-33. 

·      Time Frame:  The Temple in Jerusalem had been destroyed in (595 B.C.).

·       Judah goes into Babylonion captivity around 595 B.C.

·       Cyrus allowed for captives to return (539-530 B.C.) Roughly 56 to 65 yrs from Captivity.

·       Rebuilding of the Temple begins (536 B.C.)

·       Completion of the Temple (516 B.C.) Begins what is known as 2nd Temple Judaism.

·       They are stopped by King Artaxerxes to rebuild the city and the walls, recorded in Ezra 4:11-16

·      Nehemiah picks up around 444 B.C.  

This book of Nehemiah is likely the journal of Nehemiah as his business and prayer journal log of major events and people that he needed to keep record of, in this story.  So that’s the lens narrative of the whole book.

Nehemiah 1:1-4 NKJV

The words of Nehemiah the son of Hachaliah.

It came to pass in the month of Chislev, in the twentieth year, as I was in Shushan the citadel, that Hanani one of my brethren came with men from Judah; and I asked them concerning the Jews who had escaped, who had survived the captivity, and concerning Jerusalem. And they said to me, “The survivors who are left from the captivity in the province are there in great distress and reproach. The wall of Jerusalem is also broken down, and its gates are burned with fire.”

So it was, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned for many days; I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven.

Chislev- Late winter in Israel, beginning of Spring in Persia.

Escaped- Jews that were allowed to travel back home to Israel.

The wall of Jerusalem-

Ezra 4:18-24 NKJV

18 The letter which you sent to us has been clearly read before me. 19 And [a]I gave the command, and a search has been made, and it was found that this city in former times has revolted against kings, and rebellion and sedition have been fostered in it. 20 There have also been mighty kings over Jerusalem, who have ruled over all the region beyond the River; and tax, tribute, and custom were paid to them. 21 Now [b]give the command to make these men cease, that this city may not be built until the command is given by me.

22 Take heed now that you do not fail to do this. Why should damage increase to the hurt of the kings?

23 Now when the copy of King Artaxerxes’ letter was read before Rehum, Shimshai the scribe, and their companions, they went up in haste to Jerusalem against the Jews, and by force of arms made them cease. 24 Thus the work of the house of God which is at Jerusalem ceased, and it was discontinued until the second year of the reign of Darius king of Persia.

So Nehemiah 1:3-4 finds us at a point in history which 151 years have passed since the destruction of the city and Temple by the Babylonians. 

Things to consider:

·       Didn’t Nehemiah already know of what happened?

·       Was this really new information for him?

·       Why emotion and distress?

·       How would you react to news 151 years old?

o   US had 32 states and Oregan was becoming the 33rd

o   Suez Canal in N. Africa was being dug out.

o   Big Ben in London had just started construction

o   Oil was found in USA soil for the first time.

o   Billy the kid was born

o   Abraham Lincoln was assassinated.

Nehemiah’s prayer:

 Nehemiah 1:5-11 NKJV

And I said: “I pray, Lord God of heaven, O great and awesome God, You who keep Your covenant and mercy with those who love You and observe Your commandments, please let Your ear be attentive and Your eyes open, that You may hear the prayer of Your servant which I pray before You now, day and night, for the children of Israel Your servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel which we have sinned against You. Both my father’s house and I have sinned. We have acted very corruptly against You, and have not kept the commandments, the statutes, nor the ordinances which You commanded Your servant Moses. Remember, I pray, the word that You commanded Your servant Moses, saying, ‘If you [c]are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations; but if you return to Me, and keep My commandments and do them, though some of you were cast out to the farthest part of the heavens, yet I will gather them from there, and bring them to the place which I have chosen as a dwelling for My name.’ 10 Now these are Your servants and Your people, whom You have redeemed by Your great power, and by Your strong hand. 11 O Lord, I pray, please let Your ear be attentive to the prayer of Your servant, and to the prayer of Your servants who desire to fear Your name; and let Your servant prosper this day, I pray, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man.

For I was the king’s cupbearer.

Things to learn from his Prayer:

keep Your covenant- Praying in accordance to God law

for the children of Israel Your servants &  confess the sins of the children of Israel which we have sinned against You: Taking responsibility to the issues that have caused the problem.  Taking on the heart of a true leader

Both my father’s house and I have sinned.- Connecting with the culture and the circumstance of the people

Versus 8-10: Reminding God of his promises that have been declared and that we believe and hold true

let Your servant prosper this day & grant him mercy in the sight of this man.- The petition and request.

For I was the king’s cupbearer- This is the reality of what is at stake.

 

Nehemiah 2:1-3 NKJV

And it came to pass in the month of Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was before him, that I took the wine and gave it to the king. Now I had never been sad in his presence beforeTherefore the king said to me, “Why is your face sad, since you are not sick? This is nothing but sorrow of heart.”

So I became dreadfully afraidand said to the king, “May the king live forever! Why should my face not be sad, when the city, the place of my fathers’ tombs, lies waste, and its gates are burned with fire?”

Nehemiah’s responsibilities:

·       Taste the wine in case of a assignation attempt.

·       The presence of the King should always be joyful.  You were never to look sad.  Being close to the King, would mean that you were trusted and it was considered a privilege.

·       You were not allowed to be sad, in the presence of the King.  You could be killed for such an act.

 Nehemiah 2:4-5 NKJV

Then the king said to me, “What do you request?”

So I prayed to the God of heavenAnd I said to the king, “If it pleases the king, and if your servant has found favor in your sight, I ask that you send me to Judah, to the city of my fathers’ tombs, that I may rebuild it.”

·       Kings don’t have time to waste.  He cuts to the point.

·       Your prayers should be done with Confidence that it was heard, and that it has the power to change the situation.  Remember, it was asking for the King to reverse his law he stated in Ezra 4:18-24 to stop the rebuilding of the City and the walls.  Such a request could have been considered treason.

o   Treason: the offense of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the government of the state to which the offender owes allegiance or to kill or personally injure the sovereign or the sovereign's family

 

Nehemiah 2:6-10 NKJV

Then the king said to me (the queen also sitting beside him), “How long will your journey be? And when will you return?” So it pleased the king to send me; and I set him a time.

·       In this position, he not only needed to have prayed, but if he didn’t have a plan, the opportunity would have been waisted.  

Furthermore I said to the king, “If it pleases the king, let letters be given to me for the governors of the region beyond [a]the River, that they must permit me to pass through till I come to Judah, and a letter to Asaph the keeper of the king’s forest, that he must give me timber to make beams for the gates of the [b]citadel which pertains to the [c]temple, for the city wall, and for the house that I will occupy.” And the king granted them to me according to the good hand of my God upon me.

·       Not only did Nehemiah have a plan, he had a goal to broken down already that was detailed, for thought, and logically made sense to the King.  In others words, it was pre-thought and spoken with confidence.  Faith in God, Confidence in himself and thoughtful in his presentation.

Then I went to the governors in the region beyond the River, and gave them the king’s letters. Now the king had sent captains of the army and horsemen with me. 10 When Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite [d]official heard of it, they were deeply disturbed that a man had come to seek the well-being of the children of Israel.

·       When you move forward in faith with God and His word, you better get used too push back.  If you are surprised with push back from the enemy you will never see the Greatness of God in your life.  God will always give you the victory, but you have to believe you can take it. 

2 Corinthians 2:14 NKJV

14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us [a]diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.

Matthew 24:13 NKJV

13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to have a Victory Mind-set: Part I

How to have Victory over Depression

How to have Victory over Fear